Table of Contents
1. Bseach Ultra-light sport hiking backpack
The Bseach hiking backpack for kids is a great option for parents who are looking for a cheap and reliable solution. This relatively small pack is suitable for kids who are under 4feet.
Made from both polyester and nylon, this backpack has a waterproof coating on the outer layer to prevent water from penetrating inside. It is solidly built with durable materials and thus can resist abrasion and tear.
Weighing less than 8 ounces, this hiking pack is ideal for kids as it will not weigh them down. However, one thing to mention is that this backpack doesn’t feature adjustable straps, and thus your kid will outgrow it with time.
Another benefit of this backpack is that the entire back panel is ventilated and padded for more comfort. This is a feature you would never expect on an affordable pack.
This ultra-light hiking backpack for kids also features stretchy side pockets, and two zippered compartments as well as bungee cord at its front panel. It can hold essentials of up to 10 liters. The bungee cord comes in handy when the kid wants to keep their jacket when it gets too hot.
- Has multi-compartment to allow for easier storage and organization
- It has waterproof coating and nylon material to protect your kids belonging from getting wet
- Features reflective strips to make it easier for you to identify it at night
- Features breathable sponge to increase comfort
- Practical drawstring to allow for shoulder straps adjustability
- Fits comfortably
- Not very durable
- Cannot fit A4 notebooks
2. Deuter Kids Fox 40 Hiking Backpack
If you are going for a lengthy hiking or camping trip with your kids, then you will need to invest in a backpack that can hold a lot of gear. And Deuter Kids’ backpack is all you need- this 40-liter capacity backpack is not only durably but suitable for small adults.
With adjustable straps, this backpack can fit back lengths from 10-18 inches, which means that your kids will not outgrow the packs. They will be able to use this backpack for years, which is a good thing for parents who are tired of having to buy a bigger backpack every year.
This pack has a thick padding as well as a soft-breathable mesh for more comfort. It has a sternum strap as well as a hipbelt to allow for weight distribution.
Its huge capacity makes this hiking backpack great for multi-day trips and can accommodate all the gears that you need. In addition to this, it has different compartments and side pockets to fit all the gears effortlessly.
The spacious main compartment has internal pockets to allow you to organize your items. There are also two hipbelt pockets that make storing small items that your kids need at all times.
- It has adjustable attachments that mean it grows with your kid
- Its spacious capacity makes it great for multi-day trips
- Features many pockets and compartments
- It is comfortable and adjustable
- This pack grows with your kids
- It is quite pricey
- Not suitable for short or small children
- It is quite heavier compared to other backpacks in its category
3. Osprey Jet 18 Kid's Hiking Backpack
Do you have a kid aged between 7-10 years whom you want to introduce to hiking and camping? Well, this hiking backpack by Osprey Jet can help them pack their own gear when heading for an outdoor adventure.
This bag has a mesh back panel that features a ventilated fleece liner as well as durable straps to provide extra comfort during hiking.
The backpack is made from durable, waterproof nylon material, which means that it will serve your kids until they outgrow it. It also features external pockets that can be used for keeping a water bottle and snacks. All the pockets have a zipper, which means your kid’s gear and items will be secured.
The bottom part of this backpack features an extra pocket where you can store your kid’s sleeping bag. What’s more, the backpack comes with a rain cover to keep your pack dry.
- It features a web loop on the bottom side for lashing wide gear that may not fit in the pack
- Has sturdy zippers for all the external pockets to secure the items
- The small side pockets enable one to store items that are needed along the way
- The top lid has an extra zippered compartment as well
- It is made from strong, durable nylon material that is also waterproof
- It has a sternum strap that keeps it intact. The bag cannot sway sideways even when your kid is running
- It is only suitable for kids between 7 and 10 years
4. Sunhiker Small Hiking Backpack
This is another best hiking backpack for kids thanks to its lightweight, scratch-resistant, anti-tear, and water-resistant nature. Made from highly durable nylon material, this backpack can be great for parents who are looking for a versatile backpack for their kids that can be used for hiking and everyday use.
It has mesh shoulder pads that relieve your kid’s shoulders from stress and also features multiple compartments where your kids can store and organize their hiking gears.
There are also bottle holder pockets on both sides of this pack where you can store items that your kids need along the way, such as a water bottle and an umbrella.
It has quality zippers that keep your kid's gear safe and secure. The pack is compact and small, and thus great for kids of different ages.
Overall, we can term this backpack by Sunhiker great for kids who need a backpack that can be used for hiking and everyday needs. It has a lot of compartments, which makes it great to store kids’ items and gadgets.
- It is compact and lightweight
- Has plenty of compartments where you can store kid’s gear
- It is versatile as you can use it for hiking and everyday use
- Features adjustable shoulder straps for a more comfortable fit
- It is durable thanks to its quality material
- 9 colors to choose from
- Has a reflective stripe to enable you to spot it easily at night
- Its belly and chest straps won’t fit kids with large bodies
5. CamelBak Mini M.U.L.E. Kids Backpack
If you are looking for a hiking backpack that has been proven to be excellent, the Mini MULLE is an excellent choice.
This backpack is lightweight and compact, and thus perfect for young kids. It has a heavily padded back panel that is covered with a breathable mesh. This means your young one will stay comfortable even when hiking on hot days. What’s more, it has a sternum strap that ensures the pack stays in place, even when your kid is running.
And although this hiking backpack does not have a huge capacity, its hydration bladder compartment has a 1.5-liter capacity, which is enough to hold a sizable amount of water. This hydration compartment has an on/off lever that prevents leakages. Its handle has an ergonomic design for easy refilling. This reservoir can keep water cold for hours, thereby ensuring that your kid will have a refreshing drink during those hot hikes.
In addition to this, this Mini Mule from CamelBak also has a stretchy front pocket where you can keep spare gear. This is great for when they want to store their jackets when it gets hot- your kids will not have to carry jackets on their hands.
Another feature worth noting is that its sternum strap doubles as a whistle. Therefore, if your kids ever stray off, they can blow the whistle to draw your attention.
- Has a comfortable back panel
- Features an excellent hydration reservoir
- Has premium quality and thus durable
- It is comfortable thanks to the breathable mesh back panel and adjustable straps
- It has a safety whistle on the sternum strap
- Has kid-friendly sizing
- It is a bit pricey as compared to other hiking backpacks for kids in its category
- Has a relatively smaller packing capacity
6. G4Free Lightweight Backpack
The G4Free backpack has an impressive storage capacity of 40 liters, which means it is ideal for multi-trips adventures. Despite it having ample storage capacity, this backpack is lightweight thanks to its nylon fabric.
Its flexible and soft material allows for easy folding and storage when not in use. It has multiple external and internal pockets where you can store all your kid’s belongings and gear. Some of its interior pockets are well-padded to protect kid’s gadgets.
One of the outstanding features of this backpack is that it only weighs 12 ounces, and thus your kid will not be bogged down by excessive weight during hikes. The nylon material is tear-and water-resistant, and thus you don’t have to worry about your backpack leaking water or getting ripped during hiking adventures.
On the downside, this backpack doesn’t have enough padding on its shoulder straps, which means that your kid may feel some pressure on their shoulders if you pack the bag to its full capacity.
- It is lightweight and foldable
- It is made from durable and tear-resistant nylon material for long-lasting service
- This backpack is versatile; can be used for hiking, camping, travel, or day trips
- It has breathable shoulder packs for more comfort
- Has plenty of storage compartment to help you keep your thing
- It is not completely waterproof
7. Quechua Kids Outdoor and Hiking Backpack
For people looking for an affordable hiking and outdoor backpack for kids, this pack from Quechua fits the bill. It is compact and lightweight, making it a better choice for hiking and everyday activities. And although its capacity is not suited for longer hiking trips, it is a great option for one or two days hiking trips.
The pack is made of nylon, and thus durable and water-resistant. This makes it a great choice for hiking in the rainy season. With this model, you can choose from a wide variety of colors- 7 colors. All the colors are bright.
Another thing that makes this backpack stand out is the comfortable shoulder straps. The straps are padded with foam and are adjustable, which ensures a comfortable fit. Also, it has thumb loops on their straps. You can attach additional gear to the loops by using a carabiner.
The Quechua 10L backpack has one main compartment and a small external compartment; both pockets lack dividers, which is a little disappointing. However, you can fit all your gears inside the main compartment; you just need to be creative on how to fit and arrange them.
The back panel is well padded, which means that the pack will feel comfortable and soft on your back, and the contents in the primary compartment will not poke you. Besides, the padded backpack makes this bag retain its shape.
- It is small and lightweight and thus great for kids
- The shoulder straps are padded and adjustable to ensure a good fit
- It is durable thanks to its solid construction
- It is versatile as your kid can use it for hiking or outdoor activities
- It lacks a lot of features common in most hiking bags
- Has no side pockets or internal pockets
8. Zomake Ultra-Lightweight Backpack
Are you looking for a backpack that is lightweight, compact, but large enough to accommodate all your kid's gear? The Zomake ultra-lightweight backpack may suit you.
This backpack features one main compartment that is zipped. It also has two mesh-net side pockets where you can keep your daily necessities and water bottles. The spacious compartments allow you to keep your kid’s stuff separated and well-organized.
In terms of style and durability, this backpack has a sleek, lightweight design and is made from tear-resistant and water-resistant nylon material. The nylon material keeps your kid's belongings protected from the rain. To make it more water-resistant, this backpack comes with a waterproof coating.
For added strength, this pack features a double-layer bottom part, which adds to its durability.
What’s more, it has bar tacking stitches on the stress points to enhance comfort and support. Additionally, the shoulder straps are padded to allow equal distribution of weight and feature breathable mesh lining to allow more airflow. To add icing to the cake, Zomake makes the straps adjustable for a comfortable fit.
- It has a compact, lightweight design
- Has spacious compartment
- Feature comfortable straps
- It is durably made
- It is not completely waterproof and thus not suitable for hiking in rainy seasons
9. Seenlast Hiking Backpack
This is another great hiking backpack you can get for small adults, especially if you like going for long hiking trips. It is comfortable, strong, and has tons of compartments where your kids can store their necessities. The material used to make it is high-quality and water-resistant, which makes this bag durable.
The back area has soft and breathable material. Its meshed back area is designed to allow air to flow through so that the kids don't sweat a lot during hot days. If you will need kids to carry their own sleeping bags, trekking poles, water bottles, etc., this hiking bag features a lot of external pockets where you can keep all the extra accessories. It also features straps where you can tie odd-shaped items.
Weighing at just 2.6lbs, you can carry this backpack easily without experiencing strains. Overall, the lightweight and versatile nature of this backpack make it a great choice for a family that likes going for long hikes.
- Has tons of external storage pockets for keeping accessories
- It is strong, durable, and resistant to water
- Has a comfortable back design
- It has ample storage capacity
- It is available in five colors
- Not suitable for shorter kids
10. Outlander Travel Hiking Backpack
The Outlander Hiking Backpack is one of the most popular and durable packs on the market. With an ultra-durable material construction, this backpack will suit families who want to go for hikes with their kids.
With a 35L capacity, this backpack can accommodate gear and accessories needed for a short-term hiking trip.
The pack is well-built with nylon material, which means that it is durable and water-resistant. It is such a great choice for hikers and travelers who need a heavy-duty bag that can withstand wear and tear.
Another thing you will like about this backpack is the quality zippers that secures your belongings. Also, the stress points have a bar tracking to ensure that weight is evenly distributed.
It is a resilient backpack that is not only durable but also lightweight. This makes it ideal for kids as it will not weigh them down with excessive weight.
- It is compact and can fold to fit anywhere
- The pack is durable and water-resistant
- Comes in different colors
- It is lightweight and features multiple compartments
- The bag is meant to hold a lot of volume and not weight, and thus you should not load it with heavy accessories
Now that you have come to the end of our exhaustive guide on best hiking backpacks for kids 2020, we hope that you have spotted the right one. Of course, you should consider the age of your kid so as not to order a backpack that is too big for them.
We have reviewed bags of different sizes so that you can find the right one for your kids.
We hope that the guide was useful to you.
About THE AUTHOR
From a young age I was introduced to fishing, hiking, camping, snowboarding and more through family, friends, and scouting. After 20 years of learning and participating in these outdoor activities, I share what i've learned (and continue learning) with you.Read more about Scott Kimball